Do You Know How Strong Are Steel Toe Boots?
You have probably heard of how important it is to wear steel toe boots to work. These boots have steel components on the toes so if a heavy object falls on it, your toes and feet will be protected from injury. At least that is what is supposed to happen. But how strong are steel toe boots?
There are some stories floating around the web that steel toe boots are dangerous, and that you are better off wearing regular boots. But nothing could be further from the truth.
Table of Contents
A Close Look at the Durability of Steel Toe Boots
Steel toe boots and shoes have to meet the minimum standards set by ANSI before they’re sold to the public. All of these boots undergo numerous tests to make sure they can handle the pressure and impact.
While these boots may look like your regular footwear, they are much stronger. Regular boots won’t be able to protect your feet if there are heavy objects around. Here are examples of how durable they are.
- Steel toe boots can withstand a 75 lb. object falling from 3 feet down. The worst that can happen is the leather gets mashed up a little. But your toes won’t get injured. Compared to regular boots, your feet will come off unscathed.
- A fall from 3 ft. with a 400 lb. impact is going to deform the metal plate. The worst that can happen is slight injury to the big toe.
- At a fall of 3 ft. a 75 lb. object, the steel toe boot’s clay compression will go down by 0.5”. That is right according to the specs and won’t cause any injury. If you wear regular boots, a 75 lb. object falling from this height will completely flatten it.
Other Points of Comparison
There are other ways to measure the strength of steel toe boots.
- Experts have used an arbor press to determine how much pressure these boots can stand. A steel toe boot can handle up to 6000 lbs. of pressure before falling apart. A regular boot can only support up to 1200 lbs. This goes to show much difference the two have.
- Steel toe shoes have shown time and again an ability to withstand a lot of heavy hits. While it is unlikely that your foot will get hit by a thousand pound object, it only goes to show how much protection steel toe boots provide.
What are the Limits of Steel Toe Boots?
Some people claim that steel toe boots don’t provide the kind of protection you need because they can’t stand pressure. Because of this, you’re better off wearing regular boots.
This is another myth that has been debunked over and over. As we have shown earlier, steel toe boots are capable of handling a lot of pressure and impact.
The maximum limit for steel toe boots is superior to that of regular boots. Regular boots and shoes can only withstand 1200 lbs. of pressure from an arbor press squeeze. And even that is stretching it.
Steel toe boots are capable of absorbing much more pressure than that. Experts have demonstrated that steel toe boots can handle up to 6000 lbs. of pressure. Only at this point will the boots experience failure.
The odds of objects that heavy falling on your feet is slim, but it only goes to show much of a difference these boots make compared to regular footwear.
Live Example on How Strong Steel Toes Are
Other Benefits of Steel Toe Boots
- Apart from heavy objects, steel toe shoes will protect your feet from bricks, tones, sharp objects and heavy equipment that might injure your feet. These objects may not fall on you, but you could trip over them.
- These boots are more durable than your standard shoes, so they don’t tear easily. You might be walking around sharp objects, and accidentally hit your shoe on one of these. These objects would pierce an ordinary shoe and injury your toes. With a steel toe boot, the leather will hold up.
- Comfortable: one of the most common myths is that steel toe boots are uncomfortable. That may have been the case in the past, but now they’re easy on the feet.
- Steel toe shoe are also slip resistant. This means you are less likely to suffer slips and falls that could result in result in accidents and injuries. This makes them useful for slippery environments.
- The thicker leather offers a lot of benefits. The leather keeps your feet insulated, and it’s less likely to get torn by a sharp, pointed object.
Some Myths About Steel Toed Boots :
Another myth about steel toe boots is they are not comfortable and will cause your feet to cramp up. Because your feet are confined to a tight spec, they will sweat and be prone to odor and injury.
Again this is just that, a myth. Steel toe boots are comfortable provided they’re the right fit. Make sure they’re the right measurements and you don’t have to worry about whether they will be comfortable or not. Also make sure you wear a good pair of socks and your feet will be fine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Are steel toe boots and boots both built to the US safety standards?
Answer: Yes they are, provided it is made by a reputable company.
Question: Are steel toe boots made of the same steel?
Answer: No. Some are made of steel, while others are made of composite materials. Some of these are not as durable as the other, but they’re more comfortable.
Question: How do I know the steel toe boots I buy are safe?
Answer: As long as they are made by reputable manufacturers and meet the minimum safety standards, you can be confident of their durability.
There are a lot of myths going around steel toe boots, but as we have demonstrated here, those are nothing but myths. There is a reason why they are used throughout construction sites and factories, as their ability to protect feet are well known.