Full Grain Leather Boots: Top 5 You Can Choose in 2018
Knowing how to identify full grain leather is going to be key if you want to get the real Full Grain Leather Boots. There are a lot of leather boots sold online and some are made from cows, pigs, sheep, deer and other materials. But what exactly is full grain leather? Let’s find out in this guide, how to identify it and care for it.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Full Grain Leather Boots Reviews
- 01. Ever Boots "Tank" Men's Soft Toe Oil Full Grain Leather Insulated Work Boots
- 02. Kingshow Men's 1312 7" Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
- 03. Kingshow Men's 1406 Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
- 04. Sorel Men's Cheyanne Lace Full-Grain Cold-Weather Boot
- 05. Polo Club Men's Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
- What is Full Grain Leather?
- Why and When Do You Need Boots of This Type of Leather?
- How to Identify Leathers That are Full Grain
- Difference With Nubuck and Suede Leather
- How Can You Take Care of Full Grain Leather Boots?
Top 5 Full Grain Leather Boots Reviews
01. Ever Boots "Tank" Men's Soft Toe Oil Full Grain Leather Insulated Work Boots
The Tank boots are well suited for men who are looking for full grain leather boots that combine durability with fashion. It is suitable for warm weather and ideal for those looking for an easy to wear pair of boots.
These boots are also appropriate for those who prefer comfortable boots that have well-designed cushion insoles. The rubber outsole is slip resistant is removable. These are also half a size larger than the more popular brands, making it more comfortable.
- Durable construction
- Easy to put on
- The shoes are a bit tight when worn for the first time
- Laces could have been of better quality
Why You Should Buy This
The Tank series boots are for those who prefer quality and dependability. The leather is made of high quality materials, and the speed hooks and back loop are nice features too. We also have to say the Goodyear Welt Construction makes it stronger than other boots.
02. Kingshow Men's 1312 7" Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
The Kingshow Premium boots are suitable for different kinds of terrain. Made from real leather, the boots also have heavy duty soles that give it extra traction. If you’re the type who spends time in rough terrain and near water, the Kingshow Premium 1312 is what you’ll need.
These boots are also slip resistant so it’s ideal for use in slippery locations. With its Goodyear Welt technology and full grain nubuck leathers, it’s the kind of boots that provide protection and durability.
- Could suffer damage when lots of water gets in it
- One customer said the boots are a bit large
Why You Should Buy This
The 1312 Premium are high quality boots that can withstand heavy duty use. When it comes to protection, comfort and quality, the 1312 boots fit the bill. Regardless where you use them, these boots should hold up and keep you comfortable. Unlike other boots, it doesn’t take a long time to break them in.
03. Kingshow Men's 1406 Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
The 1406 Premium boots deserve the Premium name because they’re made of quality materials. This is especially suited for those who have to spend time on rough terrain. These boots are water resistant (not waterproof) so you can use in various environments.
These boots are what you will want to wear on wet and slippery terrain. They provide a good grip and the Goodyear Welt design helps also. Just like other Kingshow boots, you get sturdy consoles. Not all full grain leather boots are built for heavy use, but this one is.
- Solidly built
- Can be used on different terrains
- Slip resistant
- Could have used more padding
- Has a strong smell but it dissipates eventually
Why You Should Buy This
The 1406 Premium boots are worth buying because they’re well-built. Compared to other boots these are wide and comfortable enough to wear. Apart from the features we have mentioned earlier, the boots have this nice, smooth feel as well.
04. Sorel Men's Cheyanne Lace Full-Grain Cold-Weather Boot
Sorel boots are best suited for cold weather as they provide protection for your feet. This footwear is also ideal for use in sledding and on the snowmobile. Its design is also appropriate for fishing and hunting. The versatility of these boots also means you can use them for work.
These shoes are also for those who like their boots comfortable and made of durable leather. The boots also have a padded collar, and the waterproof construction means its ideal for different situations.
- Beautiful design
- Liner is very thick
- One customer said the size runs a bit small
Why You Should Buy This
Sorel boots epitomize everything that’s good with full grain leather boots. Besides the features we have already noted, its waterproofing, lining and seam sealing make a huge difference when it comes to keeping your feet dry and warm during wet and/or cold weather. If you spend a lot of time in the cold, then you’ll need these.
05. Polo Club Men's Premium Full-Grain Leather Plain Rubber Sole Soft Toe Work Boots
The Polo Boots are ideal for different terrains and conditions thanks to its durable leather construction. The boots are resistant to slips, oil and water, underscoring their ability to be used in different environments.
These boots have solidly made rubber soles, and the design is very suitable for winter use. The nubuck leathers are well-made and you get optimum protection. The craftsmanship is also top notch and compared to other boots, these are easier to clean up.
- Easy to wear
- Easy to adjust
- One customer said the boot size is too large
- Water resistant but not waterproof
Why You Should Buy This
These boots are easy to wear compared to other boots that take a long time to put on. The lace up closure is easy to adjust and its solid design means it’s going to last a long time. The boots are comfortable and doesn’t present a problem even when you wear thick socks. For style, comfort and durability, these boots are a good choice.
What is Full Grain Leather?
The toughest part of an animal’s hide is under the hair, as there’s a tight grain pattern here. This is where you get full grain leather. Put it another way, full grain leather is the most durable kind of leather, and it is also resistant to moisture.
Why and When Do You Need Boots of This Type of Leather?
If you’re looking for high quality boots, full grain leather is the best option. For one thing, they’re breathable so your feet feel comfortable even during long walks and treks. You’ll also need this if you’re looking for durability and water resistance. Another advantage of full grain leather is they’re easier to clean compared to other types of leather.
How to Identify Leathers That are Full Grain
Full grain leather boots can be identified by its appearance as they have not been sanded. Look closely at the leather for any attempts at hiding defects. Full grain leather has not been buffed, so you’ll see some “imperfections” or “scars”. Their presence is a good sign because it means the leather hasn’t been treated and that it’s full grain.
Difference With Nubuck and Suede Leather
- Full Grain Leather: they refer to any type of animal hide that has not been sanded, buffed or treated in an attempt to get rid of the imperfections.
- Nubuck and Suede: nubuck and suede are both made via the sanding procedure. The difference is suede is sanded on the inside of the skin while nubuck is sanded outside. The outside skin is tougher so nubuck is more durable than suede.
How Can You Take Care of Full Grain Leather Boots?
- Full grain leather boot care starts with proper cleaning. Don’t store them until they’ve been cleaned. Remove the laces and insoles prior to polishing or brushing the shoes.
- If your boots are soaking wet, let it air dry for 24 hours before using again. Ideally your boots should be dried at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Minimal or average amounts of dirt just need dish soap and lukewarm water. If the boots are very dirty, use cleaning products that have been specifically made for full grain leather.
- If you have cleaned the boots’ interior, fill it up with newspaper for half an hour. This reduces the amount of excess water in the boots and accelerates the drying process.
- Ideally you should dry full grain leather boots at no more than 37°C. Do not place the boots close to a heat source as it could damage the leather.
- You can minimize the amount of cleaning that needs to be done by brushing and polishing the boots regularly. By cleaning your boots on a regular basis, dirt won’t be able to accumulate.
Question: What’s the difference between full grain and top grain leather?
Answer: Top grain leather has been sanded so it’s not as durable as full grain.
Question: Can I use any cleaning solution for full grain leather?
Answer: No, use only products that have been developed specifically for it to avoid damage.
Question: How long does full grain leather last?
Answer: it will last a lifetime if properly cared for.
Being able to identify full grain leather is necessary if you’re serious about boot quality. A lot of leather boots look the same as Full Grain Leather Boot, but as we have explained their qualities vary. Sure you could settle for a cheap variant, but it won’t last long and you’ll end up looking for a replacement quickly. With full grain leather boots, they’ll last a long time.