Best Waterproof Socks : Top 10 Choices For 2017
Nothing can ruin a person’s good mood better than a pair of wet socks. Having to walk around all day long with soggy socks is one of the grossest, most cringe-worthy, uncomfortable things that you’ll experience.
How do you solve a problem like wet socks, though? Today’s technology has just given us the easy access to the best waterproof socks, making wet socks a thing of the past. Socks may be the last thing that you’d imagine to be made waterproof but think about it. A lot of people hate wearing wet socks, so why not do something to prevent it? Not only will this address an issue a lot of people raise, but it can also be an entirely new clothing innovation that’s just waiting to be explored.
When & Why Do you Need Waterproof Socks
Waterproof socks are exactly what their name say they are. They’re waterproof alternatives to your regular socks. They can also do everything regular socks can, except soak in water. These modern items of clothing will let you enjoy your day, despite having to wade through some water, without any worries that you have to slosh around in wet socks until you get home to change into a fresh pair.
There are also tons of reasons why you’ll need a pair of waterproof socks. For one, if you live in a locale that experiences a lot of rain, it can be a great alternative to regular socks during the rainy season. Adventurers should also have a few pairs of the best waterproof socks in their arsenal. These products can help you ensure that you’re dry, warm, and comfortable no matter what happens. Some people also find waterproof socks useful when walking through snow or while enjoying different water sports.
You may have interest regarding "Best Compression Socks". Check it here.
Features of Waterproof Socks
What makes waterproof socks different from regular socks is their special hydrophobic treatment. This makes them capable of repelling water, protecting your feet from getting wet. Different makers use various techniques in creating waterproof socks, so you can expect to find a wide array of options with varying degrees of effectiveness.
Aside from repelling water, waterproof socks also need to be breathable and capable of wicking moisture away from the skin. This will ensure your comfort and prevent your own sweat from keeping your feet wet inside your socks and shoes.
Pros and Cons of Using Best Waterproof Socks
Still not sure if waterproof socks are great options for you? Let this rundown of its pros and cons help you decide whether you should give it a shot.
- They will ensure that your feet won’t get wet no matter what you do.
- These can prevent athlete’s foot.
- They can keep you warm in the winter months.
- These might let you swap your clunky wellies for other more comfortable water-resistant footwear on some occasions.
- While they’re not exactly heavy or thick, they still feel a bit different than your regular socks. It might take you a while to get used to wearing these special socks.
- They’re more expensive than regular socks so you might not be able to replace all of your regular socks with these products.
- Sweaty feet can still be a problem with some products, so you need to be very discerning in choosing the pairs to get.
Things To Consider Before Choosing Waterproof Socks
To help you find the perfect pair for you, here are a few things that you should consider when choosing among your many options.
- Price: Waterproof socks aren’t cheap but you also don’t have to spend an arm and a leg just to own a pair. Include the price ranges of these products while you look for a promising pair so you can get a good idea in how much you need to spend on them and start creating your budget from there.
- Recommended Use: Different products have their own recommended use. Some are more heavy duty than others, so you need to know which ones will be able to keep up with your activities and requirements.
- Quality: Because they’re quite pricey, it’s also important to try to find out whether a pair is durable and made of high-quality materials and craftsmanship. This way you can be sure that you’re investing in the right items that won’t quickly fail.
- Comfort: You also want to look for something that is guaranteed to fit right and comfortably so you won’t have any problems wearing the socks for hours on end. Also, make sure to look for something breathable so your feet won’t get too stuffy.
Taking Care of Waterproof Socks
To ensure the longevity of your waterproof socks, here are some care tips to keep in mind.
- Always follow the washing instructions that come with the product.
- Never dry your waterproof socks in or on direct heat surfaces. Never dry them on top of a radiator, heater, or by ironing them as doing these can ruin the waterproof materials used.
- Drip drying is a better option than tumble or heat drying as it has the least potential for damaging your socks.
Top 10 Waterproof Socks Review
01. Dexshell Hytherm Pro Waterproof Socks
Those who often need to go out and brave the cold weather will need a solid pair of waterproof socks. They are also the very people the makers of the Dexshell Hytherm Pro had in mind when creating this product. While designed for extreme conditions, it can still be worn for everyday use due to its durability and cushioning.
- Highly breathable
- Soft to touch
- Thermal and odor-control protection thanks to its Merino wool
- Great fit
- Quick drying because of its acrylic and nylon inner layer
- Very durable
- Available in different sizes
- Quite pricey
- Not for prolonged water exposure
Dexshell may not be the biggest name in the industry just yet, but it holds a lot of promise with its range of waterproof socks. This product is an excellent choice if you want something that will repeatedly hold up in inclement weather.
02. Seasnug Sports Socks
Designed for water and beach sports, the Seasnug Sports Socks is a mix between waterproof socks and water shoes. Equipped with a thick neoprene sole and an upper made with breathable, stretchable lycra, these socks are highly versatile and ready for a lot of fun. It’s designed to protect your feet not just from getting wet but from the scorching hot and not too fine sand as well. It’s actually sandproof, so you don’t have to worry about the pesky grains while you move around.
- Comfortable to wear
- Can be worn as actual socks due to the flexibility of the materials
- Very affordable
- Available in different designs and sizes
- Provides ample grip on sand making it ideal for beach sports
- With a cuffed-ankle design, water can still get inside if it enters from above the socks
- Durability can be improved
If you spend a lot of time at the beach and you want to protect your feet from the sand’s heat more than anything else, this can be a great purchase for you.
03. Dexshell Coolvent Mid-Calf Waterproof Socks
One of the issues raised against waterproof socks is they can get quite hot. Not a lot of these socks can actually claim to be completely breathable. The Dexshell Coolvent addressed this issue with its use of 80% coolmax and 20% nylon in its inner layer, guaranteeing good airflow. It’s also completely waterproof, making it ideal for most outdoor activities and even everyday use.
- Contains an antibacterial inner material
- Wicks moisture and keeps feet dry
- Fits well
- Very comfortable fit
- Doesn’t make your feet feel warm
You should get this pair if you’re looking for a pair of waterproof socks that will keep your feet dry in warmer weather. They’re not exactly thermal, so they will suit you best if you like to go on outdoor adventures in warm climates.
04. Dexshell Ultralite Bamboo Waterproof Socks
Bamboo fiber is one of the trendiest materials used for a wide range of products nowadays because of their sustainability, durability, and natural antibacterial properties. This is why it shouldn’t come as a surprise that an innovative brand like Dexshell has already incorporated it to their top-rated Ultralite Bamboo Waterproof Socks.
Great for all sorts of outdoor activities, this pair is also suitable for everyday use because of being lightweight. It also doesn’t hurt that they’re probably some of the cutest waterproof socks out there.
- Attractive design
- Thin yet durable and warm
- Not as great in odor control
The Ultralite Bamboo Waterproof Socks are getting quite popular among runners as they can easily slip inside running shoes aside from being lightweight. So if you intend to use it for runs and other kinds of outdoor workouts, this product can be a good pick for your needs.
05. NeoSport Wetsuits Water Sock
Water activities like scuba diving and snorkeling don’t have to be limited in the warmer months with products like the NeoSport Wetsuits Water Sock. Some might easily mistake it for a pair of water shoes, but since it’s very thin, it can be easily worn with other diving boots. It’s also ideal for full-foot fins so you can still wear them in cold weather.
- Great quality
- Very affordable
- Provides warmth
- Can be used for other purposes other than swimming
- Finding the right fit can be quite tricky
If you want a really affordable pair of waterproof socks, this pair is a nice choice. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles of actual waterproof socks since it is designed for an entirely different purpose, but it’s still highly effective in keeping your feet dry.
06. Showers Pass Waterproof Crosspoint WP Crew Sock
Made specially for cyclists, this Showers Pass product is a great pick if you like riding your bike in all kinds of weather. With its 3-layer bonded construction with a Coolmax FX breathable lining, it ensures effectiveness, comfort, and durability.
- Highly recommended by cyclists
- Available in different colors
- Wool lining will keep your feet warm as well
- Can be used for a wide array of outdoor activities
- Size tends to run small
A solid pick for cyclists and other outdoor enthusiasts, the Showers Pass Waterproof Crosspoint WP Crew Sock will not only keep your feet dry and warm while you’re exposed to inclement weather, but it will also keep up with your activities.
07. RANDY SUN Unisex Waterproof
SGS certified, the Randy Sun Unisex Waterproof Socks is an all-around variety that can be used for a wide range of outdoor activities. It has been extensively tested to prove its effectiveness, making it a popular choice in the market right now. Available in three sizes and a wide array of designs, it can easily be the best replacements for your old, regular socks.
- Proven to be very effective
- Wide range of styles to choose from
- Friendly priced
- Great fit
- Soft and comfortable
- Ribbed cuff design helps seal the socks better
- With antibacterial properties
- Not for prolonged water exposure
Being affordable, this can be a great choice for your new everyday socks.
08. Seavenger Wetsuits Premium Neoprene Sock
Another water sock option for those who love to stay in the water even in the cold months is the Premium Neoprene Sock of Seavenger. It can be a great addition to your diving, surfing, swimming, and other watersports gear as it can help keep your feet dry and warm despite wading in the water. You can wear it as is or underneath fins and diving boots as it is thin and flexible enough to provide a great fit.
- 3mm insulation
- Dotted sole provides traction and makes it versatile
- Comes in different designs and sizes
- Will suit women as well
- Easy to wear
- Very affordable
- Sand can get through
A good option for those who want an affordable and versatile water shoe, this product will surely be a great addition to your water sports gear.
09. Gore Bike Wear Universal Gore-Tex Socks
Another product made for cyclists is the Gore Bike Wear Universal Gore-Tex Socks. Crafted to suit the needs of bike riders, these products are meant to be worn close to your skin to prevent trench foot. You can, of course, still wear it for other activities, but if you’re an avid rider, this may be a better pick for you.
- Available in actual corresponding shoe sizes
- Flatlock seams prevent chafing
- For diabetics and those with arthritis
- Machine washable
- Very comfortable
- Doesn’t have insulation
- Quite pricey
Those who are looking for a different kind of waterproof socks may find a good match with this Gore Bike Wear product. It’s also a great pick if you like riding your bike in all kinds of terrains and weather.
10. Dexshell DS636M Breathable Waterproof
Also known as the Dexshell Waterproof & Breathable Hiking/Trekking Socks, this product is made specially for those who like to explore the outdoors. Their mid-calf height makes them great picks for a lot of outdoor activities as well, keeping your feet dry and toasty whatever you may be doing.
- Merino wool inner lining which makes it great for cold weather
- Designed with three layers of waterproofing and insulation
- Soft and feels closely similar to a regular sock
- Won’t leak
- Hand wash only
- Quite pricey
For a reliable pair of waterproof socks, this product can be a solid choice. It’s highly versatile and comfortable, which can already meet the needs of many shoppers who are after a good pair of waterproof socks.
Some FAQ’s regarding Waterproof Socks
Waterproof socks may not be a new concept but a lot of people are still just about to warm up to the idea. Hopefully, the information contained in this article helps you out in not just learning about this product but in shopping for best waterproof socks as well.